Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop to Multiple PCs on network with same IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbmeans

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2003
US
I have 2 home pc's both running xp pro running through a linksys router. If only one pc is turned on, I can remote access that pc using the external ip address assigned by my isp; however, if both are turned on, remote desktop doesn't work.

This makes sense because RDC cannot tell which pc to connect to when both are on and have the same ip, so does anyone know how to enable these pc's to be accessed without turning one of them off? Can I use a port designation somehow?

Thanks!

I honestly don't know. It is the linksys befw11s4 wireless router. It does have PPTP pass through, so does that mean it supports VPN?

No...I have the same router. The only way I can think of is by purchasing a router that supports VPN'ing and setting up an IPSec VPN between your remote site and home. This way you can create a connection directly to the router and then use your Remote Desktop to connect to your internal address (192.168.1.x).

VPN Router:

Setting up an IPSec VPN Tunnel:

There are other options.

What you need to do is to declare for both ends what the forwarding port (what MS calls a service port) will be for each computer.

The issue is NAT. You need to explain to the Linksys router that traffic over a certain port on your public interface (WAN-side IP) should be redirected to workstation X on your LAN side.

I am not sure why mijbianco15 insists this can only be done with VPN, perhaps there are restrictions by his ISP that most do not face as a common issue.

I will give you the links to the MS and other support for explaining the process, but in a nutshell:

1. It helps to have the underlying client software installed, including helper applications. For NAT traversal Microsoft expects that you will have installed on the client side:

. DirectX 9.0b (This oddly has a lot to do with NAT)
. The Discovery Client and the uPnP Client : Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Removing Windows Compnenents, Networking, check the first and last box and Apply.

Now on the Router you need to Port Forward to the LAN side IPs the addresses that the client expects to be open.
Make a list by IP. Using static IPs for the clients simplifies matters. Just understand that a remote sesssion on your Public IP means little; which workstation? with what priviliges?

You plan ahead of time to use forwarded port assingments through your Router to resolve this confusion.

Port 1792: someone wants to connect to fbmeans
Port 1793: someone wants to talk to bjbianco
Port 1794: someone is trying to connect to bcastner

..etc...

See the following for the assignments

Most of what you may need to know is here:

And certainly can be found here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back