Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djcrucial

MIS
Nov 15, 2002
US
Hello everyone, our company is running pcanywhere for remote desktop support. We just started deploying some XP pc's and I was wondering if

1. If an XP only remotely connect to another XP pc?
2. Is this Xp remote service just as good as pcanywhere?

I always found PC anywhere too fiddly to set up to work cross platform. So started using RealVNC . It is Free, it works across all major platforms apart from apple(i think0, it is open source so you can make whatever changes suit you and best of all it's so simple to use.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Thanks Greg I will look into RealVnc, but was wondering if I could use the remote desktop service that xp provides? Is this just as good? and can an Xp machine connect to a 98 or a 2000 machine on our network using remote service

Thanks Greg

XP Remote Desktop client can only connect to another XP Pro, or Win2k or Win2003 running Terminal Server.

Note, that is Win2k Server, or Win2003 Server running Terminal Server.

I use RealVNC all of the time, it works great.

Thanks Guys, can you configure the realvnc to launch at restart? for example does another party have to log in first and launch vnc before you can get in there

Yes it can be installed as a service. So the app is starting when the machine does.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

you can't go wrong with real vnc. I use it all the time over my home network and it's never let me down once. Also for what it does, I was expecting a 50-100 mb download - I as amazed to see it's less than 1mb!

Another option to consider is Remotely Anywhere for a company lan. We use it on XP and 2000 boxes, and have very little issue with it.

Just something to consider.. Of course VNC is the most efficient way to go (Cost, filesize, ease of setup/use)

Good luck.
-IQ

Built upon the realvnc code, adds a few features.

On another note, someone mentioned lack of Apple support . . . os X is support is available from RealVNC -- TightVNC has not picked it up as of yet, but you can mix and match.

An interesting VNC link for Palm users Viewer only, but really cool.

Many other platforms, see for a mostly complete list.

Oops . . . kinda got OT there, back to the question at hand. Which ever version of VNC you choose, I think you will be pleased. Don't think anyone really picked up on your original question. If you really want to connect to an XP remote desktop from another version of Windows, see

Hi,
The remote desktop which comes with XP is brilliant, however you need to install the relevant client on other versions of the OS.
Real VNC has apparently gotten some security issues attached to it(I havent gotten details on this perhaps they have been ironed out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back