Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop speed through VPN: Faster/slower???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopRung

Technical User
Oct 31, 2002
US
Being the newb that I am in many areas, I was surprised to find out that I was able to Remote Desktop (RD) to my servers from home once I established a VPN connection.

My initial thinking was that I had to open the Remote Desktop port(s) on the Firewall at work to allow such connections from the outside world. But, while I was VPN'd in from home, I tried RD and it worked.

So i guess the VPN tunnel is all encompassing (when it is active) and any communications are housed within it. So, this leads me to the following...

Is a standalone RD connection faster than one running from within the VPN tunnel ?????

Thanks!

Yes. It may not be noticeable, but an encrypted connection will always be slower than a comparable non-encrypted one simply due to the overhead of encryption.

thank you Lgarner. Can you quickly explain the differences between the two connections ?

I take it that the RD connec is unencypted and vulnerable?

I believe that the normal Remote Desktop (or Terminal Services) connection is encrypted, but you'd need to verify that with Microsoft. What I meant was that the VPN tunnel adds an additional layer of encryption on top of anything that the application does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back