Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote desktop problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

F90X

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2004
CA
I'm currently an MCSE student and we're JUST starting our remote desktop course.

My friend in a city 3 hours away needs me to work on his computer, but using the normal XP pro "remote desktop connection" doesn't seem to work, even if I put in his IP.

We are both running XP pro, but I've tried using my eval of 2k3 server too and still wouldn't connect.
We both have routers, and according to some information I can do a router to router "tunnel" but can't find any clear information on how to set it up.

1) Do we need to disable the router firewalls??

2) Do I need to set up a "VPN" or should I just be able to do it thru the RD connection???

need help.

Cheers

Your friend will need to set his router to forward TCP port 3389 to the private IP address of his machine (and possibly turn off 'stateful packet inspection', 'block wan request', and other such router features if applicable). Then you will be able to remote into his machine (assuming of course, that he has enabled this feature).

Thanks Smah!!

I'll get him to do this and try it out.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back