Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscotx

Technical User
Jul 25, 2007
US
Hi guys, I have an office with a server running 2003 and I have everything setup to access that server remotely from my house to use a quickbooks application. At home I have a windows xp machine and a network printer.. when i connect to the server from home, how can i print from the quickbooks application but to my local printer at home???
thanks

Also, when you connect remotely; under options there is a option to bring local or attached printers with you when you connect remotely. Just check that box and it should work.

Make sure to install the drivers for your printer on the server you are connecting in to. Just incase it's not in the default printer driver cache for Server 2003. This will help with the printer mapping. Also I found better luck with RDP 5.2 or 6. For some reason had some weird problem with RDP 5.1. Follow the previous posts too as they are correct as well.

Hello I am adding the registry dword

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR]
"FilterQueueType"=dword:ffffffff

but when I remote into the server from another locations, the local attached printers on the machine are not available on the server.. Any ideas????

you need to install that registry fix on each computer you plan on logging into the server with.

-drew

yes, I have added the key to two computers from where I remote from and same results (I don't see my local printers available). I forgot to mention that my local attached printers are connected via USB. I don't know if that can become a potential issue as far as making them available. Thanks

it shouldnt. do you have the exact same driver installed on both the server and the local workstation. this is critical.

-drew

yes, I have the same driver on both the client and the server.

Do you get any sort of error like this on the terminal server?

Event Type: Error
Event Source: TermServDevices
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1111
Date: 12/14/2007
Time: 6:44:41 AM
User: N/A
Computer: "Server Name"
Description:
Driver Canon iR5570/iR6570 PCL6 required for printer Canon iR5570/iR6570 PCL6 is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

-drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back