Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop not working through VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadixon

Programmer
May 22, 2008
US
I have been trying to connect to a remote desktop connection through a VPN. I am at a client's site trying to connect to my desktop at my office. I can connect from home just fine, so I know the remote desktop settings on the host machine are correct. The problem comes in at this client site. On one computer I can connect to the remote desktop just fine. However, the computer I use all the time does not connect. I get the message "This computer can't connect to the remote computer". I have checked all the settings and services I can think of and compared the 2 machines and they match. I also read on some web postings that it could be video drivers, so I have downloaded the most recent but still no luck.

Does anyone know of a hidden setting somewhere that I am missing?

What do you mean by terminating? I start the VPN session before I try the remote desktop, but as far as I can tell the VPN session keeps running.

It is our corporate VPN server - I don't know the details of what it exactly is. I put in a URL when I set up the connection. This connection works on all other computers, and appears to be connected on the one having issues. I cannot ping any IP addresses on my corporate network from the troubled computer either.

I cannot offer any advice without knowing what is doing the VPN...

Burt

Is there any 3rd party firewall running on the client's problem computer? Possibly one that might have been installed along with antivirus software?

All firewalls on the PC are turned off. What kind of information do I need to provide about the VPN? Why would the VPN appear to be running and work with other PCs but not this one when I have set them up the same way?

Because the VPN server may be trying to NAT the addresses you are having trouble with.

Burt

I am not in our corporate office, so I don't have direct access to the VPN setup. What kind of information would I need to determine if the VPN is trying to NAT the address (and which address, the computer I am running on?)

RDC typically does not work through an IPSEC vpn when the vpn addresses are being natted. Sometimes the VPN server and IPSEC are just incompatible with eachother, though I don't think this is the case. This can happen if the vpn pool is in the same subnet as the LAN, in which case they would all get NATted. The info that would help is
A)What type of VPN (PPTP, IPSEC, L2TP)
B)Any settings (firewall, NAT pool, DHCP settings, NAT Transversal, reverse-route, VPN pool)
C)The device used as the VPN Server (Cisco PIX/ASA, Cisco router, Windows Server, Linux Server, UNIX, etc.)

Burt

I have corrected the problem of getting the RDC working by uninstalling and then reinstalling my network card (lots of googling found that solution). While now I can connect, my connections to Outlook on our exchange server and SQL Server SSMS are now painfully slow. Does anyone know what I can correct to speed things back up? For SSMS, it isn't just at log in that it is slow, it is anytime I try to do anything with an object in a database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back