Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop not working after VPN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkroyal

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2003
US
I have just setup the VPN connection on our W2K SBS server and it works sweet. Only downside is that since then I am unable to connect to the server via Remote Desktop Web Connection and get the error:

'The client could not establish a connection to the remote computer...'

Prior to the VPN setup it worked fine. I have other servers which I can connect to successfully. My suspicion is that something in ISA Server 2000 was changed when I ran the VPN wizard.

Anyone any ideas?

Prior to the VPN, the RDP would have connected to the server over the Internet, using an internet IP address or DNS.

Now you you connect to the server through a VPN tunnel, you will need to use the local address for the server (i.e 1921.168.16.2 or 'yourserver.yourdomain.local').

Thanks for the reply, but I cannot even connect to the server internally and this is without going via the VPN connection. I have tried connecting via the IP address and server.domain-name with the same result. Could it be related to access via port 3389 (RDP) and the VPN setup in some way blocked that?

Are you trying to connect using the Windows XP VPN client?

The windows firwall maybe blocking it... try disabling the firwall on the VPN connection only or allowing RDP.

Already tried that. Does not matter if XP firewall is on or off and port 3389 is already in my exceptions list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back