Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop No Longer Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbmeans

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2003
US
My home pc is running via cable modem behind a linksys router. I have been able to connect to this pc via RDC with no problems for several months. Suddenly, I can no longer connect. I have verified that my external IP address is correct (it does change, but very infrequently) that 3389 port is open and the port forwarding is still working but still cannot connect.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior before?

Can you connect on a machine on the same side of the router?
Just wondering if it may be the ISP "helpfully" closing security holes, which is not unknown.

John

What has changed on the computer you are using to connect from?

What has changed on the computer your are trying to connect to?

What error message are you getting?

Try using the Troubleshooting Remote Desktop Connections via the Help and Support program.

We have just started to experience the same problem connecting remotely. For quite some time remote desktop has worked without a flaw for all my users. Now we are all having the same problem: It seems that the PC's just loose connectivity to the network. When I can't connect, I log into a server and find that my work PC is no longer on the network. It is on a UPS and the machine is not going down for any reason, it is just dropping the network connection. In the morning relogging on to the computer reestablishes the connection. The only changes made to these PC's are the applications of the Windows updates as they are released, and upgrading them to Office 2003 Professional Edition. No other changes have been made to these computers or my servers (all running Windows 2000 server; also being updated as the updates are released). Is anyone else seeing this problem?

It wouldn't be the first time that a Windows patch has itself required patching. You could by way of experiment uninstall (if they can be) any recent patch and see if that corrects the problem.

To minimise any threat to security while patches are removed you may like to look at this site.

linney--
Nothing I know of has changed on either computer other than possibly applying XP security updates.

I get the generic "Client could not connect to the remote computer. May be too busy or...network problems." message.

I may try uninstalling some of the latest updates to see if anything changes.

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back