Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Local LPT Printer Win2k & XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

drfish

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
US
My local LTP printer won't show up when I use remote desktop connection over our VPN. I've tried making another shared printer, my port is set to ECP, I've tried the net use command and it still won't show up. This happens on both the local XP Pro box that has the printer hooked up to it and the Win2k box networked to the XP machine. I used to have a USB HP printer attached to the XP computer that used DOT4 and that wouldn't work either (Laserjet 1012), even after I did the registry change recommended in the MS KB. I figured changing to a LPT printer would solve the problem instantly (Samsung SCX-4016, BTW) but no. Any ideas? Did I miss something obvious?

If this means you want to use your remotely connected printer from your remote desktop connection, then the problem just lies on the connection options.

When starting Remote Desktop Connection (don't connect yet), click the Options button. Then goto "Local Resources" tab, and make changes on those resources.
You might want to disable connection to your "local printer" when you logged in to the remote one, and prefer to use the remote ones. (I answered similar question but regarding the direction of sound output in other thread :) ).

-astha-

I am struggling with this issue also, did you ever get the problem fixed?

Nope. I just started using a PDF writer to "print" files to local drives on the machine and then printing them.

same problem here with apple laserwriter select 360

printer is on lpt1 with a certified ms driver. option to share is set.

in fact when i create another bogus lpt2 printer (hp lj 4050) it would not share either

drives share ok

remote computer doesnt have any events in event log to the effect of unknown/incompatible driver

i fixed my own problem

the events where not showing when a regular user was logging in but when admin logged in they started popping up

and said :
Driver Apple LaserWriter Select 360 required for printer Apple LaserWriter Select 360 is not installed on the server. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

even though xp has this driver in its driver list it doesnt have all the files on disk, so i had to create a local apple printer just to install the driver, insert xp cd, then remove the printer

next time i run RD it worked fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back