Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REMOTE DESKTOP FOR WINDOWS 2000 PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

asaid

Technical User
Jan 30, 2006
GB
I WANTED TO ACCESS ONE MY SERVERS FROM HOME, IT IS WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL RUNNING AS WEBSERVER AND IT SEEMS IT IS NOT ENABLED TO REMOTE CONNECT IT THROUGH VNC OR MS REMOTE DESKTOP, I KNOW HOW TO ENABLE IN XP BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW TO DO IT ON WINDOWS 2000 PRO AND I WOULD LIKE TO ENABLE REMOTE DESKTOP TO CONNECT FROM HOME.

ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP.

THANKS.

Install 'Terminal Services' on the server, and check that you have port forwarding setup on your router.

I recommend creating a restricted user on your server, that is a member of nothing but an empty Group (create an empty group called 'Remote Users' or something). This user will be able to do nothing but VPN into your server.

Once the VPN is connected, run your Remote Desktop, enter the IP address of your server, and away you go.

Oh, and try not to shout too much, you're hurting my ears.

Ahdkaw

If I remember correctly and if you are truly running Windows 2000 Pro on that machine, a third-party program like VNC is your only choice for remote access. Windows 2000 Pro did not include a remote desktop/terminal services option.

You will need to install a version of VNC (RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC, etc) on the Windows 2000 Pro box and configure it as a server and install the VNC Viewer on your home machine.

If you are connecting through a VPN connection then you should be set. If you are trying to connect directly over the Internet you will have to change your work firewall to allow the connection to the VNC server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back