Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop for a Win 2K professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicentell

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
MX
Is there any way to Remote Desktop from a Windows 2000 Professional PC to another windows 2000 Professional PC>

I know that you can terminal a 2003 Server or Windows 2000 Server, or windows Terminal Server.

But from a pc to pc, both running Win2K professional?

Thanks in advance

Have to use a 3rd party softare, RealVNC is a good option.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

that's my experience as well you have to use a 3rd party with Win2k

Windows XP has the function built in.

I've used Remote Administrator worked well for me till I upgraded to windows XP.

~Shmoes

Another vote for Gencontrol, I use it at the school where I work just to see what the little darlings are doing sometimes.

Also useful if I want to run something on the server if I'm at a workstation in another part of the school.

Definitly another vote for DameWare, its a fantastic program and it only takes 20 seconds to install the client on the machine.
We have 5 licences and manage over 800 machines.
It even works well over a long distance ISDN line, very little lag.

Definitely give it a try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Intel 3.2Ghz Prescott 800FSB (OC 3.8Ghz)
Fujitsu MAS3 SCSI 15000rpm HDD 73GB
4Gig Ram
DL-DVD Burner
2 x 21in LCD DELL
All Black.., oh, good old FDD to.

Hi, I have a similar question. I am running XP Pro at home and via VPN trying to set up a Remote Desktop with my work computer that is running 2000 Pro. My MIS says they cannot set it up because I have 2000 at work. Is there software that will allow my XP at home to connect to my work computer?

there are several answers already listed above that should work for you

~Shmoes

I know enough about computers do be dangerious. I want to connect to my work computer from home. When I try i get the following error message. "The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections may not be enabled or the computer might be to busy to accept new connections." I am told by my MIS that 2000K does not allow for me to set up to allow remote access. Most of the software out there is to let a 2000 connect to an XP. I am trying to do it the other way around.
Thanks in advance,
Barbara

Barbara - you are correct - you can't do this with native win2k features (you'd need 2k server, xp or 2k3 server). That's why Shmoes mentioned other options above - but these have to be installed on both machines before you can make the connection (and you'll probably need some technical support at work to open a port for the connection - if they're happy to, as I'd suspect your work system will block requests by default).

Hi,

If you use DameWare Mini Remote control, you can choose the port that you wish to use and the client install happens on the first connection.

Download the trail from and give it a go.

cya, Brett.

Intel 3.2Ghz Prescott 800FSB (OC 3.8Ghz)
Fujitsu MAS3 SCSI 15000rpm HDD 73GB
4Gig Ram
DL-DVD Burner
2 x 21in LCD DELL
All Black.., oh, good old FDD to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back