Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Event ID 50, Source TermDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddamm

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2002
US
I am trying to establish a remote desktop session between a Win98 client and a WinXP Pro computer on the same subnet. The Win98 client is running the Remote Desktop Client and has an account with a password and logon rights to the XP computer on which Remote Desktop has been enabled.

I have also tied to Remote Desktop between two XP Pro computers with the same results.

When I try to connect, the remote computer does not appear in drop-down box for the list of available computers. I put in the computer name, user name, password, domain and connection speed and get the following: "The connection was ended because of a network error. Please try connecting to the remote computer again." Or, a Remote Desktop Disconnected error.

I am getting Event ID: 50, source: TermDD error "The RDP protocol component "DATA ENCRYPTION" detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client" on the WinXP computer to which I am trying to connect.

I have looked this event up on eventID.net and read the respective MS Knowledge Base articles referred to, but all the articles and fixes are for Terminal Services. They are not applicable in this instance. The articles are Q257894 , Q232514 , Q312313 , Q311371. The latest service packs have been applied to all the computers.

I am hoping that this is a basic configuration problem, i.e. an easy fix. Any ideas?

What happens if you put in the remote's IP address instead of computer name?

No go. Still get the same error.

We just solve a similar problem. We found a KB article 323497 which discribed a similar problem in Win 2000. Forunately, the same fix applied on Win XP too (removing a registry key and reboot). You may give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back