Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REMOTE DESKTOP ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICCABOD

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
I am trying to access an XP machine(PC1) from another XP machine(PC2) useing Remote Desktop Connection on the same domain. I am able to access PC1 from PC2 but I am not able to access PC2 from PC1. I have gone to the system properties, remote tab, remote desktop and checked the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" and added myself to the Select Remote Users list on both machines. I also went in and started all remote services but, I still recieve this error:

Remote Desktop Disconnected

The client could not connect to the remote computer.

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections.
It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.

Please try connection again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator.

I have made very sure that the IP is correct and I have checked Microsoft knowledgebase but cannot find any answers. Any help that can be provided would be much obliged, this would make my job go alot faster.

Make sure the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall is disabled on PC2, then run 'netstat -an |find "3389"' and see if RD is listening.

Thanks for the reply but the XP Internet Connection Firewall is disabled and it is listening. Any other suggestions?

are the computers set up in a LAN on the same subnet? What are you using to try to connect to them, IP address or Netbios names? Have you tried both?

yes they are on a LAN and the same subnet. And yes I have tried both ways of connecting to the other machine.

thanks for the responses but I figured it out, I thought Terminal services was started and set to automatic but it was not. I do have another question though that I need help with. I was wondering if it is possible to access a Windows 2000 machine with remote desktop or if it was only possible to run the 2000 machine as a client.

With windows 2000 the server product is called terminal services. It doesn't come standard and I believe that you have to purchase licenses for it (or maybe just for additional connections). It may be under the install windows components heading, or you may have to use 2000 server to use the feature. Check that, and I'll try to confirm all this info

Your right I do have to purchase licenses for it. Unfortunetly you cannot install terminal services through windows componets though. Thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back