Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote desktop connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

deka

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
AU
Q1) While tryng to connect, the remote computer answers but does not connect, comes up with error 678.
Looking at my modem log shows: ATDT 99999,,,<cr> Recv:<if> Recv:NO Carrier Hanging up modem ATH:<cr>
How can I troubleshoot it?
Q2)If I ever connect can/will the remote desktop Open up automaticly ?

The first issue sounds as if the modem on your end is not getting a modem answer on the remote end.

Your second question is part of the first problem. Remote Desktop needs to be enabled on the remote machine, and you need to ahead of time have made yourself a valid user with a password on the remote machine, and included that username and password as an authorized user. Although your sequence would could also simply indicate the machine is not turned on.

When everything works correctly the remote desktop will come up, with a possible warning if the remote machine is being used actively.

Fixed
The problem was in the FAX setup onthe remote computer.
It was answering before the remote desktop.
Go to Printers / Fax right click properties and untick
receive. or control panel /admin Tools /services and set
Fax to manual and remote to auto.

deka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back