Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwoods

Technical User
Jan 24, 2007
US
I was wondering if somebody could please help me. I have been using remote desktop connection from my home laptop for the past 3 months. About 5 days ago it stopped working. I am running Microsoft XP 2002 Home Edition. Nothing has changed with the IP address of the server that I access. I have no problems accessing this server from another computer that I use which has XP Professional on it. I am wondering why all of a sudden it has stopped working when I seem to have done nothing new to my machine. Another co-worker with XP Home has all of a sudden encountered the same problem. The message we get when we try to log in now is "The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol." Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

check to see if you have received any new MS updates. Check by Date. If you have any as of your issue time, uninstall it and see if that was the culpret...

Tom

Tom,
How do I look up and remove recent updates? I'm sorry I'm not trhat familiar with doing that? Thanks for your help.

Jim

go into the Control Panel- Add and Remove Programs; ensure that you check mark the box for show updates and sort by name, the MS update will be towards the bottom. You'll see the install date for the updates. Click on the last one and remove it (uninstall it)

The other thing you might want to try FIRST is reapply the Service Pack. Go out to and rerun the service pack 2.

Then if you still have issues uninstall the last update..

None of this will hurt your machine. the worst thing would be having to reinstall the updates

god luck

Tom

Ok I tried that and it still is not working. Any other ideas? It seems strange that it all of a sudden stopped working on both mine and my coworkers computers at the same time. And we both have XP home.

I have XP home and am performing all these things too. This is odd. When is the last time you ran a visurs scan? An d whose do you use? And a spywhere check.

Do you and your freind belong to the same domain? or are these home machines?

DO you have AOL loaded? Please say no.

Looking for more info to help you if I can.

Are you recieving any error messages specifically? Are there any enteries in the Event Logs?

Tom

My machine is a laptop and my co-workers is a regular home computer. Neither of the computers is linked to the other in any way. I have AOL but I don't think he does. We both get the same message when we try to use remote desktop connection which says: "The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol."

The virus program on this laptop is McAfee but I'm not sure when it was last used as this is my fiances computer and she is away right now. The fact that this happened on both computers at pretty much the exact same time makes me think its not a virus/spyware issue but you never know.

Sounds like something on the Server since you and your co-worker are both experiencing the same issue. Check with your admin.

If its a 2003 server then you would have to get some lic for the terminal session but if your running it in admin mode then both of you should be able to log in. If your not then you would have to check some event logs to see if there is a protocol issue. Also with the new RDP update then you may run into some lic issues as well

Hope this helps

Hey Jimwoods,

If you are still having issues with this, I think I know the issue. It is based on a licensing functionality known as "Operating System Equivelancy" which says in part, users with XP Pro or Win 2000 do not require additional licenses (TSCALS) to connect via Terminal Services (or Remote Desktop) to a Windows 2000 server. While users with XP Home, ME, 98 or 95 need to purchase an additional license.

So...when a XP home client first connects to a WinCruise 2000 server via Remote Desktop Connection (or Terminal Services) a temporary License (TSCAL) is granted. After 90 days (or 3 months as you said) it expires and if the terminal server licensing does not have a TSCAL license installed and available, that machine will be denied access from that point on. If TSCALS have been purchased and installed on the server, then at the 90 day point this XP home machine would take one of those licenses and move on without interruption.

Windows XP Professional contains a TSCAL "built-in" in a since, so this behavior never happens. Which explains why your other machine has no issues.

If you are using Windows 2003 server, then this would not apply.

I hope this helps

Boomer,
Thank you very much. Even though I don't understand a lot of the jargon what you said basically matches what the technical guy who runs the server at this company told us. At this point, can anything be done to solve this problem or do I basically have to upgrade to XP Pro on both these machines. Thanks again..... Jim

Hey Jim,

Your certainly welcome. Sorry :) about the tech-talk, that was after I re-wrote it a few times...lol

Really nothing that can be done, except purchasing the license from Microsoft and installing it on the server or upgrade the machines to XP pro. The cost is about the same either way.

Scott

Have you tried this go to hklm\software\microsoft\MSLicensing\
export the key to somewhere you can save ( this is so you can import back into the registry if you need ) and then delete the subkeys under it. Do not delete MSLicensing. Try connecting after the keys are gone. This should work because the term server will reissue a temp license for your machine.
G8orade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back