Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote desktop connection to a win2k pro desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat6506

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2002
US
Can anyone help me in finding a solution to this.

Trying to make a remote desktop connection to a win2k professional workstation. Cannot install win2k server on desktop.

Is there some sort of service or patch to accomplish this???

There has to be some way to do this. I can't imagine someone out there hasn't reverse engineered this.

I refuse to use vnc. A previous company I worked for used this app. and I personally think it is garbage.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully someone has acheived this on this forum.

There is a way to do this: third party software. Wolluf mentioned one, you could also use Damewares mini-remote and I'm sure there are others...PC Anywhere, programs such as that. W2K by itself can't do it, nor are there any hacks.

Windows 2000 doesn't have a way to allow remote control access unless you use PCAnywhere, VNC, or such software.

TightVNC ( is much better than VNC.

Microsoft Instant Messanger may allow remote control on a Win 2000 system, if you have the most current version. (not sure though) CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Do you need to have interactive ability? If not, you can install terminal services on the Win2000 machine, giving you the ability to do what you need to do, tho not in an interactive (with the person at the computer) mode. MCSE, A+

Terminal Services is what I originally tried to install.

First, what is the .msi package or .exe needed to install just this service.

If I try adding / removing windows components, terminal services is not an option.

Do you know what is the directory off the win2k server cd is???

The idea behind this concept is to gain access to the checkpoint policy editor on my 2000 pro. desktop when I vpn in from home.

My home pc is running xp.

Thks for all the input.

I don't believe you can install Terminal Server on W2K Pro, it requires W2K Server.

I actually use Remote Administrator (not freeware, but have tried the vnc on the link I gave above and it worked fine (have you actually tried it - I also tried it in earlier incarnation some years ago, when I couldn't get it to work at all, but its much better now).

What's the 'checkpoint policy editor'? (is it third party software or part of windows - eg, runs with mmc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back