Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection Refuses to work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TACC

MIS
Feb 26, 2003
US
I have setup many pcs with RDC and this is the only one that is giving me fits. I have enabled it and assigned two users to be able to connect. Topology is very easy...all pcs are on a 3Com switch with no firewalls between. No personal firewalls either. When I try to connect to this pc with ANY XP Pro computer it gives the standard error -- "The client could not connect to this computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections." Absolutely NO pc can connect to this computer.

Some salient facts:
-All pcs in question are XP Pro
-No firewalls in picture
-XP firewall not activated
-User names specified and part of Admin group
-Tried User Admin as well
-Unchecked and rechecked Remote Desktop in My Computer
-Can ping the pc with no problem...both by pc name and IP address
-Have made no modifications to RD setup on target pc
-Can use VNC with no problem

Is there are way to simply uninstall the service and reinstall or something similar? I can't think of anything else to check. How can I tell if the pc is listening on the correct port? Any help is welcome.

Try this:

C:\>netstat -an |find "3389"
TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

You should get the same result.

I get that result from my pc that works correctly but get no response to that command on the pc that isn't allowing connections via RDC. I do netstat -an just to manually search the list and it's definitely not listening at 3389. Is there a way to restart the service or reinstall it? A shutdown and restart has no effect. Thanks.

Tim

Try Start - Run - services.msc - and check the status of the "Terminal Services" service.

What's the startup type? Is it started?

BINGO! Thanks very much. I was busy looking for a service titled Remote .... that I didn't even think of looking at Terminal Services. For some reason the service was disabled. Not by my doing and certainly not by the user's. No group policy either. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again very much. This person will be very happy.

Hi all!

I had the same problem, but I still need more help. Terminal Service service is stopped, but when i try to start it it gives me an error message

Could not start the Terminal Services service on Local Computer
Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

Can anybody tell me what I should check or maybe reinstall something.

Thanks

I have a problem that is very similar to this. When I do the “netstat -an | find "3389”” it doesn’t show that anything is listening. When I go to services the Terminal Server service is set to manual and is running. What can I do to get it listing? I also tried changing the port but that didn’t work either. This is doing this on 2 out of 3 of my machines.

Also, check the following registry key to confirm that you've got terminal services configured to listen on port 3389, and not some other port:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - System - CurrentControlSet - Control - Terminal Server - WinStations - RDP-Tcp
Value: PortNumber

Still no luck. I checked the regiestry and verified the port. I even tried a different port. If I do a netstat -an |find "3389" nothing is returned. Nothing shows up in event viewer enven if I try and run C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost -k DComLaunch. This is Windows XP Home. That shouldn't matter, correct? Any more ideas?

Thanks....

Remote Desktop is not available for Windows XP Home edition. You'll need to upgrade to XP Pro.

The server functionality is not supported by Windows XP Home Edition. However, the client software for Remote Desktop connections is included in XP Home Edition.

A subset of the remote desktop functionality is included in the Remote Assistance product that is included with Windows XP Home Edition.

Alternatives for clients running Windows XP Home Edition include UltraVNC, Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing, or PC Anywhere.

User is using RDP XP PRO from home to office, RDP - XP - cannot get any functionality once on desktop out of keyboard and when minimizing the screen and then to maximize the screen turns black.

i have a similar problem; i have a group of pc working with 2kserverSP4, xp sp1 and 2k3server standard edition;
the computers with 2kserver i have no difficult to acess more than one connection, but all connection by rdc only get 1 connection by time with same user, how can i configure to one machine receive more than one connection with same credentials. (2k3server is working only rdc because no application administration);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back