Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection - Problem on drag and drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumbleSeeker

Programmer
Nov 29, 2002
GB
I'm using Win XP Pro on my computer and I'm trying to use the drag and drop feature with Win 2003. I've ticked the display local drive tick box before launching the remote connection. As far as I know the network policies allow for this sort of action. Has anybody else had this problem? Is there a solution which will allow me to view my local drives and use the drag and drop feature? Any help is much appreciated.

Humble Seeker
-----------------------------------------------------
The longest journey begins with the smallest step.

Does it just not work? Do you get any error messages?

I copy things back and forth all the time (between 2 PCs using the remote desktop connection) without any issues. But I have not tried to drag and drop.

Have you tried just using the copy\paste function. (Use windows explorer. I do not mean for you to copy the file, minimize the remote desktop and then try to paste the file. I DO mean for you to copy and paste the file in the explorer of the remote desktop connection. Make sense?)

If that does not work and you do not get any errors it may just be a bandwidth issue. What speed is your link "between the 2"?

Checking the display local drive option before connecting should allow you to see your local drives listed under my computer in windows explorer. From there you should should be able to copy the files off your local drive and drop them onto the remote one. I have actually installed programs this way with the install disk on my local machine. Is the problem that you are not seeing your local drives under my computer on the remote machine?

Thats exactly the problem. I've ticked the box before connecting but I still can't see my local drive in the explorer for the remote desktop. Any ideas?

Humble Seeker
-----------------------------------------------------
The longest journey begins with the smallest step.

If you are connecting to a Windows 2000 server, it is running RDP 5.0 which doesn't support this feature. RDP 5.1, in XP and .NET servers does.

If you are connecting to an XP Pro machine and seeing these symptoms, apply Service Pack 1 to the XP Pro host machine. SP1 resolves a bug where the Host machine antivirus software prevents local drives from appearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back