Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
[blue]Client[/blue] PC is running XP Pro SP2, all patches. [red]Host[/red] machine is identical setup, and has an HP printer/scanner attached to the LAN using the printer's own internal network interface. [blue]Client[/blue] connects to [red]Host[/red] ok using Remote Desktop, and all programmes are accessible.

1. With this setup, [blue]Client[/blue] is unable to print to the [red]Host's[/red] network printer. Is this to be expected, or will RDC only work to a [red]Host[/red] printer attached using parallel or USB?

2. With this same connection, as I understand it printing should also work to a printer attached to the [blue]Client[/blue]. The printer attached to the [blue]Client[/blue] is USB. Does this printer driver need to be installed on the [red]Host[/red] machine, and if yes, what should it be installed as? Just a local USB, or a network printer?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

>and has an HP printer/scanner attached to the LAN using the printer's own internal network interface

From this do I take it that Host has two network cards? i.e. One leading to the other PC (via Router?) and one connected to the printer.

Is the printer shared?

For Terminal Services if someone wishes to print to a client computer then they would have to install the printer on the host. The connection used is a Remote Session Connection.

For your application though I think there is an option within your Remote Connection to use your local printers under the Local Resources Tab.

HughLerwill, no, only one network card. The [red]Host[/red] is connected to a small LAN with one other computer, a router and the HP printer/scanner. As far as I'm aware the printer is shared as the other computer is able to print to it.

Picarolio, yes I'd seen that Local Resources tab on the [blue]Client[/blue] machine, but user said he couldn't print locally. So that's why I wondered if the printer driver needed to be actually installed on the [red]Host[/red].

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back