Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickifoxx

Technical User
Mar 1, 2003
US
There is a computer at our office running remote desktop connection client. We have two laptops at home that we need to connect from. Last December or so, my Linksys router fried (which was set to default basic settings). I got a new Linksys WRT54G router. Since we got this router, we cannot connect to the server at the office. If I disconnect the router and plug in directly to the modem, it connects without an issue. I cannot even access the company website. Is it possible that I can have a faulty router that would allow me to access every site I ever visited except for my own company's??? This has been driving me crazy ever since it started. Thank you for any insight. Oh and we can also connect without a problem if we use our computers in office or from any other computer.

have you allowed the remote desktop protocol port 3389 i think for windows through the firewall

smorgan is right, just have to set port forwarding up and open up port 3389 for the remote desktop. should be real simple. check you linksys manual for specific instructions.

Yes, I had 3389 forwarded. But, from what I understood this only affected incoming connections. I ended up getting an RMA on my router and received the new one, and it worked fine with the default settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back