Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection Issue after replacing/upgrading the Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasilec

MIS
Jul 14, 2005
US
Recently we have upgraded our HP Storage to a NetApp Storage. Almost everything works like a charm: faster backup time, snap restore is a great feature and so on. But since the day we moved from the old storage to the new one a weird thing started happening.
First some facts:
- We are using cifs or shares? to present the data
- We are using a domain and all users are part of this domain
- Network drives are mapped using a batch file when the user logs in on their workstation and probably again when they log in on the ERP server
Ex. NET USE H: /DELETE /Y
NET USE H: \\NG-STOR\APP_SRVR /Y
- Our ERP Server is accessed by 50, some users using the Remote Desktop Connection
- To avoid any unforeseen issues we used the same name and same IP for the new storage (NetApp) like we used in the past for our old HP Storage

Now the problem:
- Once in a while when logging to our ERP Server using Remote Desktop Connection it takes an unusual long amount of time and when the welcome screen is finally displayed I can see the command window (mapping the drives) sitting for an unusual long time on the screen. When this scenario happens the whole session is screwy: trying to access one of the drives thru Explorer takes forever, trying to run a report that outputs info to the network might time out and so on. The fix when this happens is to log out and log back in and everything is back to normal like nothing ever happened.
- It only happens on this particular server and 1 out of 10 times
- It could happened either if no one is logged in or if there are other users logged in
- It doesn’t happen when logging in on the regular workstations (using same batch files to map the drives) or on the other servers
I don’t know much about servers and storage…I tried looking at the Event Viewer on this particular server and I can’t see anything out of whack. I don’t know what else I can check and I know for sure it started happening when we brought the new storage in. Is it something about the name or IP of the old storage? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!!!

I would check your DNS servers for a stale record for NG-STOR, might be an old dhcp registration in there from when you first set it up.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Thank you for getting back to me!
Our NetApp storage was installed by a third party. I did ask them about some DNS entries that I was not sure about. They assured me that the DNS looks OK…
The NetApp Storage has 2 controllers, the 2nd one being used for failover.
Here it is the DNS for it:
NG-STOR 192.168.170.33 – the name of the NetApp Storage appliance (used when mapping the drives, ex.: NET USE H: \\NG-STOR\APP_SRVR /Y)
NG-NetStorA – 192.168.170.33 – main controller (same IP as above...)
NG-NetStorB – 192.168.170.34 – second controller

They told me that there should be no issue with the above. What do you think?

Thank you again for your help

When you logon to the server do a start >> run > RSOP.MSC this should run and when it completes it should show you what GPO settings are being applied to you, look at logon scripts see what ones if any are being applied. There maybe an issue with scripts mapping drives over top of each other (i.e. GPO getting applied twice) or the drives mapping from different settings. There are a couple of different ways to map drives and if you run into a conflict that doesn't error out could cause issues with your network drives.

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back