Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Connection Install Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dromorkid

Technical User
Feb 23, 2009
US
Hi,
I'm new to remote access, at least the setting up faze so bare with me :)
I'm curious, I'm in the USA and my home is in Ireland. I have a legal version of MS Office at my house but forgot to install it on my new laptop before leaving to come to America. I am curious, is it possible to install it remotely from my home computer? Both the PC and laptop are running Vista home edition. I do have another PC that runs XP Professional. Am I able to install programs remotely, if so do I need any additional software or has Vista got this included? Finally if all this is a go, which I think I have more chance of winning the lotto, but hwo would I go about setting up the connection?
Thank you in advance!

Vista Home (Basic or Premium) can not be a Windows Remote Desktop host. So unless you've pre-configured some other remote access software like VNC, you won't be able to connect to those machines. XP Pro can be a RD host, but again, it would need to have been set up ahead of time (along with port forwarding for the router/firewall, etc).

Check out logmein.com they have a free version that will allow remote access, that is if you can get it installed. As for installing Office you would be better off working remotely on the pc is is on, you won't be able to install remotely. If you need an Office Suite look at openoffice.org I am currently installing that on all my corp pc's.

I'd like to recommend another remote pc access software : Proxy Pro 6. I use this at my work because security is at the forefront of everything we do. I like this service because it caters to businesses that have high security needs. Plus they have an extensive list of features.
Using this program you can definitely install anything you want. It really works by taking over someone's computer as if you were sitting in front of it.

Use if the pc is connected to the internet goto the site and run the tool.

No firewall/Nat needs to be set to take over the PC

Avaya_Red.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back