Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Desktop Client not sending Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansleight

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2000
US
on the same network I have two XP computers, and one Win2k3 Server. They are setup on a workgroup.

When I use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the server on the first machine, I can enter the password into RDC, click on save my password, and it automatically gets me past the login screen. On the second computer, that is nearly identical, the same procedure doesn't work, and I have to reenter the password on the login screen.

It seems that RDC isn't sending the password, does anyone have any idea why or what I should check?

The password does not come from RDC, it is stored locally by the client. Make sure you have created a complete profile for the connection under the Options tab of the remote desktop client.

See if your Protected Storage Service is started, and enabled to run automaticly. Start, run, services.msc

Then use Control Panel, Internet Options, Content, Auto Complete, and make certain you have the checked the box to prompt for save passwords. Finally, look at the Security tab for both Internet and Intranet zones, Custom level, and scroll to the bottom to set User Authentication options of prompt for username and password.

That didn't seem to be the issue...

I'm noticing that RDC isn't allowing me to save passwords, and that is probably the problem. Any idea what would be keeping RDC from saving passwords?

Logon as local Administrator.

Delete keys beginning with the letter “S” within the following registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage Provider

Close Protected Storage Service
Run REGEDIT.EXE
Choose HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage Provider
Delete keys beginning with the letter “S”
Go to the Security menu, and select Authorize Access
Click Add, and add the current user. Choose Full Control for authorized access.
Click Delete, and delete the key itself
Restart computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back