Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Sep 22, 2003
ZA
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how I can manage updates from my computer to remote pc's. The problem I have is that I need to know which computers was updated and with which version they were updated, so I'm busy writing an app that will do this update for me and once done will update the database with computer name, version, etc. The problem comes in when I want to kill a running app eg. the user is busy doing some work in the app thereby running the .exe. If I try and replace it it doesn't allow me to do this, which is why I want to tell the user that he has 5 minutes to exit before I close the app, wait 5 minutes and then shut it down remotely from my pc. I need to do all this automatically in code.

Any ideas?

Use Microsoft Systems-Management Server. It does all this for you.

Chip H.

I use different solution. I've a starting app that checks if a main app is active and notify the user that he must exit the program and then start a new instance of it, then checks if there eny files to copy and after that it start the main app.

Problem with this is that the infra structure team doesn't have control over what happens where and whether it was successfully updated etc. I think the SMS way should work though. I've been looking at it and it's a real option.

Does anyone know if it actually stops the running app when it runs or is it still dependant on the user actually exiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back