Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Datastores

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyDiNucci

Programmer
Nov 26, 2001
GB
I have recently built a site for one of my clients that relies on MSAccess.
I have been asked by them however if I can rewrite some of their existing in-house software so that it can interact with the sites datastores, I know that delphi is capable of remotly accessing SQL server, Oracle etc but I have never seen any word of MSAccess, I would of thought its possible but would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

It is possible, but keep in mind that Access is a so called desktop database, although with some special precautions you can use it in a multi-user environment.
It will not give the same performance like SQL server, Oracle, Interbase etc. which are designed to handle multiple connections at a time.

Regards S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Howdy,

Yes, Delphi is more than capable with interacting with an MS Access database. This is possible using a number of different ways.

Firstly, the simplest way is to set up a BDE alias for your database file. Then within Delphi all you need to do is place a TTable component on a form, give it the alias you set up and assign it a table in the database and your away.

Secondly, you could use ADO (ActiveX Data Objects). This way is a little more involved but gives you a lot more room to move. One of the things I like about this, is the fact that your program doesn't rely on (or need) the BDE at all! For more info on this try :

Hope this helps

WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back