Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Databases...

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2000
GB
Anybody know a better way of sharing a backend access database over the telephone wires than linking tables?  The backend is on a high spec pc in a shared folder whilst the frontend forms modules ect is 50 miles down the road any ideas appreciated...

All the thoughts I have involve keeping the front end for phone line users back at the central site and providing remote access to it.  Just how would depend on your configuration and resources.  And of course, you would have to be careful to minimize GUI activity.

<br>You can use 'unbound' forms, etc.. Create a connection to the remote data source and fire off queries. This requires more code, but is more straight foreward since it makes no assumptions about the status of linked tables. Further, if line conditions are a consideration use of Transactions when updating your remote tables would be prudent and/or necessary. Again more coding.<br><br>You may be able to get away with re-linking the tables (explicitly) upon launching the program while providing the means to refresh the links during program execution; as in checking table links prior to record writes; relinking when necessary.<br><br>Take a look at how to go about refreshing linked tables in code. <p>Amiel<br><a href=mailto:amielzz@netscape.net>amielzz@netscape.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have not used replication but it is intended for remote users.

Maybe its time to use the Internet.<br>You can make Aceess forms that are on WEB pages.<br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

<br><br>Doug you're right. This is a candidate for browser delivery.<br>I retract my (inadequate) suggestion.&nbsp;&nbsp;If this is a serious application; web enabling it is probably the real solution. Anything short of that would likely leave it prey to performance issues eventually.<br><br><br>:) <p>Amiel<br><a href=mailto:amielzz@netscape.net>amielzz@netscape.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hey thanks a lot for the replies, i see what you mean about the internet and all however i'm very concerned about security as there will be sensitive client information on the database.&nbsp;&nbsp;If any unauthorised people get hold of it I certainly will not be worrying about any databases for quite some time!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone know how secure this can be as users will need to view this data, i.e. it can't be just data input...<br><br>Thanks...

Is there anyway that i could have only the forms on the remote dbases, having tables, queries, reports and modules on the backend??? so that all queries are performed locally and don't need to be transported over the telephone???

use database splitter on Tools&gt;Add-In so Access will split it for you automatically. Also, correction on your part, You should have queries, reports and modules and forms on the front end so that the processing is done locally on a users PC.

cheers but i have already split the database myself + have got all queries, forms, reports etc in the front end, i was just wondering....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back