Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Database Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMax1

MIS
Apr 8, 2004
US
I have a database located on an ISP server. I would like to update some of the tables with data that are on my PC.
Is therte any software that will allow me to do this?
The best solution should allow me to insert data that are on my PC to a specific table in the database. Otherwise what is involved to do this?
Thanks

I dont know of any specific software that would accomplish this, but here is how i would go about it with ASP

Write an asp page that runs on your local machine which populates a form with whatever data you require from your database. The form should then post to a page on the remote machine, which will then read the contents, format the information, and insert it into the database.

Obviously this would be quite labour intensive at first to build the pages, but if you were clever about it you could make a flexible tool that could insert numerous different collections of data into whatever table you require on your remote database.

Nick (Webmaster)

info@npfx.com

The best simple solution I can suggest is make a copy of the DB on your ISP on your local drive and do all your import work right there on the local machine.
Then use any sync software and sync the Db on the local drive with the Db on the ISP.

Sync softwares are easy to find. Just check downloads.com
I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back