Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Database over Dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafmag

Programmer
May 29, 2003
PR
I'm having a problem with this: i have a program i made reading an Access database on a server in the same network. No problem there.

the problem is that now i have another computer in a diferent office that needs to share the same database.

I have both computers running on Windows 2000 with a DSL internet connection.

it is not posible to connect the two computers in network through dsl becasue the modem has most of the ports bloked. (There might be a way,I don't know)

dial-up is two slow.

The question is:

How can i share the same database? (Maybe some kind of server software, I don't know)

Thankyou

The easiest way would be to install remote control software on the server PC and allow it to be connected to via the remote machine.
The machine which is in the office would be unaffected as that could be accessed via the LAN.

If you don't have money for a commercial product, VNC is free.

John

i need to acces the database example: database.mdb through my program so it would need to be in a maped drive can you do that with vnc

thanks John,

You can't access a mapped drive through VNC, but if you connect to a host machine, it runs on the remote machine; all that is transmitted are screen and keyboard updates.
Thus you don't need to access the actual files.

You may be able to configure a virtual private network between the remote machine and server to encrypt traffic if needed.

John

Right John But the blocked Port in the dsl modem Does not allow a VPN connection to the host computer thats the problem.

Can you connect to an unencrypted session through VNC (port 5900 if I remember correctly) without a VPN?

If so that will have to do.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back