Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote CreateObject() 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifitz

Programmer
Feb 27, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am trying to use CreateObject to access an object on a networked server and according to the help I need to give the name as such

Set objTest = CreateObject("class", "servername")

Possible solutions I have managed to find are:-
1. I need to turn off internet security - but I don't know how to do this and can't find anything on the web about it
2. Might need to add something to the registry - but I don't know what

Does anybody know how to get this to work?

Thanks

Si Fitz [afro]

You have to mark the component as Safe to launch on the server by creating an entry in the server's registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters\ADCLaunch\<yourcomponentname>

Mark

Thanks Mark but I can't get this to work. It looks such a simple solution so I am hoping that I have just made a silly mistake.

I want to use CDONTS.NewMail on the server so I have created a Key on the server in the following location:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters\ADCLaunch.
The Key is called CDONTS.NewMail and the string value contained within is (default) - the same as all the other keys in ADCLaunch.

I am getting an error 429 - Cannot Create ActiveX Component when the client code tries to run CreateObject.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks,

Si [afro]

Unfortunately the CDO for NTS Library is intended to run on a Microsoft® Windows NT® Server, it is not intended to run on a client process, nor to access remote servers.

You can't use this particular object on client side script...

Mark

Thanks Mark.
I have searched through so much information and I can't do it. Gutted.

Cheers
Si
[afro]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back