Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Control Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1carez

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2004
US
I work on a big group of computers at different sites and was wondering if you could give any suggestions on remote control software. I am looking for something that will run in the background, start up when windows starts up, and most importantly runs on its own "session". I do not need anything that will take over the desktop, but one that I can jump in on a computer (without calling a remote site and having them authorize me) and run a quick update at the same time a user is own their machine and they never know I was in there. I can remote desktop into our 2003 Server from a desktop and have it run its own session (I want something exactly like this), but when I try going to the desktop from the server it only takes over the current session. Can anyone recommend anything?

Ever since we switched from SMS to SCCM, we've stopped using their built-in SCCM Remote Control utility (Microsoft took away the ability to send CTRL-ALT-DEL to the host in their tool). In place of it for now, we've been using UltraVNC which has worked out quite well for us and only takes up a small footprint in memory. There are other flavors of VNC that you can try out as well.

I recommend that you set block the ports from each locations router, but leave the option to remotely manage the router turned on. You can log into the router and temporarily allow the ports through when you need them. That way you aren't creating a security issue by keeping certain ports open all the time.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

What sort of updates would you be running, can they not be scheduled/scripted?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Try Logmein. I use the free version to go between work and home, and it works great.

Brian

I am looking for something that will run in the background, start up when windows starts up, and most importantly runs on its own "session".

one that I can jump in on a computer (without calling a remote site and having them authorize me) and run a quick update at the same time a user is own their machine and they never know I was in there.

iTivity from Tridia can give you always on, unattended access to separate RDP sessions/desktops. It also has web/ajax application access without interfering with the console desktop.

Keep in mind that the desktop operating systems from Microsoft only allow one session/desktop to be active at a time. So, even with RDP access, you may not be able to obtain a separate session without interfering with the current user (fast user switching). For this reason, tunneling to a web or ajax application running on the system can provide the ability to perform the updates in the background without needing the ability to login to a desktop.

Server operating systems such as 2003 and 2008 Server usually support at least one extra RDP desktop for remote administration. However, most organizations do not deploy those to typical workstation systems. Anyway, you posted this to the WinXP Pro forum...

I see no way of editing my previous post...

Grenage is right, it really depends on what you are trying to update.

By default, IIS 6 and later installs an "Administration" web site. If you deploy IIS to the desktop systems, then you can administer those desktop systems remotely via this IIS feature.

Remote Administration with IIS

Of course, you can achieve the same goal using WebMin for Windows.

WebMin on Windows

Brian Blevins - iTivity Developer

>installs an "Administration" web site

For administering IIS6, not anything else

I personally use TightVNC for remote access and monitoring within my corporate domain. There are two resons that I use this software -

1. Simple setup and EXTREMELY easy to use interface (so the owner can check on the employees work habits on the computers, without asking me to run it every 15 seconds).

2. It's Free for use under the GPL License - and it was designed and built on the same engine and by the same people who designed Real VNC, Also, the source code is available for customization.

Tight VNC truely is a masterpiece. I don't know if you have researched this product or not, but the link to their website is -

Have a good one.

Beware of hackers bearing executables. Happy Hunting. 'irc.2600.net'

I've used LogMeIn in the past, very simple to use and does what it says.

ipMonitor & Kiwi Syslog Server 9 - Online Representative operating on behalf of SolarWinds, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back