Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote control software

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeway

MIS
May 8, 2006
NL
Hi,
I'm using telnet rightnow to remotely control a rs/6000.
Does somebody know a different(better) way to connect?
Where i can scroll, cut and paste,....

Thanx

Install X-Windows and the CDE environment on the RS/6000,
then, from your PC; run an X-Windows Emulator such as
Hummingbird's Exceed.

This will give you a graphical environment, which will allow you to use scroll bars, resize windows, etc..

Where can i find more info about installing this x-window.

X11 is a package install. Go to smitty installp and choose Install and update software by package name. Install from your AIX CDs. Then choose X11. This will install the filesets you need.

Edit the file /usr/dt/config/Xservers and comment out the line that starts with :0 . This has to do with the main console. Somehow (not sure how to explain it) DT will detect that the console is not operating with CDE and will fill up an error log somewhere. I know that's not much of an explanation but it works. Now if you have a console that is running CDE, then disregard.

To enable CDE do:
prompt> /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -enable or -reset

You can then run something like the Hummingbird Exceed and config it to run the CDE environment and it will be just like logged into your console with CDE. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Try changin your Winblows telnet client for anything real like QVTterm or ...

<flame>
the telnet clients included in real OSes like Linux, OS/2, BeOS, etc...
</flame> ;-)
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back