Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Control, No more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
SG
I'm using VNC to do the job but now managemet wanted to switch to ADSL with Dynamic ip from ISP. Is there a way to know my IP address when I'm in remote place?

What IP address are you trying to find out? Your computer? Your server?

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Hmmm. Next time I will preview first because it sounds like I don't know my laptop IP address when I'm in remote place but I can do that with ipconfig/all :). What I want is the server IP which VNC server is installed.

There are many Internet sites that will associate your domain name with an IP regardless how many times your IP renews a day. Some sites provide this service for free. It is called Dynamic DNS. You may have to run a small daemon on your system to communicate with the DNS servers but the overhead is minimal.

Paul

Work on Windows, play on Linux.

My domain is not registered, it's .local. Ok let's put it this way, how can I remote control a PC (Dynamic IP from ISP, no NAT) with VNC server installed? Of course I don't want to call the user of the PC and ask the ip addy:).

if you can figure a way out of this let me know...i'll give you $100 =)

is like you're sitting in a bar look'in at this hot chick and wonder how the heck can you get her phone number without asking her?

=)

Ask your isp if they can reserve an ip address for you to use......

Actually I have an idea but no time to test yet. Something like run a scheduled every 2 hour batch file to get the ip address and save it to my webspace or thru email. Something like that...

vbrocks:
I can't do that, that's why I asking for help to get a workaround.

Greg:
If you have b...s hot chick is no problem but can't use in computers:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back