Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote control between 2 networks on WIN2K using Linksys Routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCKENMA

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
I would like to setup one of my networks for remote control
access using remote administrator, pcanywhere or some other tool. Both of my networks are running WINDOWS 2000 both use a Linksys Wireless G router (WRT54G). Currently I'm only using the wired portions of these routers but I am guess that really doesn't matter. Both of my networks have high speed internet access and I basically allow the routers to share the internet connection out to each one of the PCs on their respective networks. My question is .. can I setup my remote network for access from my home network and if so how? I was basically expecting to have to setup a VPN between the two networks but I cannot seem to PING the remote servers IP address thats listed in the router setup. Basically, as I understand it... since the routers are sharing out their respective internet connections to all PCs, the remote server router gets ONE IP address from the ISP and shares it via the router. I checked the router settings and don't see it blocking VPN access.. I have also turned off any/all firewall software.
Any suggestions?

Ok the best way to do this is set up a site to site VPN. Also turning off the firewall isn't good you need to protect your network. Now as for the VPN Tunnel I do not believe your routers can do this but a Netgear FVS318 which is just over a $100 does work...I use them. If this is the way yu would like to go I will be happy to give you further details. What are you trying to manage all the pc's?

I believe both of these Linksys routers have a built in firewall. I have not disabled them. However, I have turned off a software firewall that I was using on the server of my remote network. At this point, I really don't want to swap out my 2 linksys routers as they have served me well. However if thats my only option then I guess I don't have much choice. As for what I'm trying to do. Basically my remote server has an application and data that I would like to remote access. Ie I want to run this software from the remote server computer as if I were sitting at this computer. In terms of access I really only need access to the main server of my remote network not all of the other machines. Any other suggestions are welcome and thanks for the suggestion. In the configuration you noted .. could I still share out the high speed internet connection to all the machines of both my local network and remote network?

You can set up your server as a Terminal Server in admin mode and access it via remote desktop connection. All you would have to do is make sure your server has a static IP and in your router point it to port 3389. If you can get a static IP from you ISP for internet that would great but you can do a DDNS at dyndns.org. Keep in mind that the static for the server is different from what your ISP provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back