Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote console port

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybtech

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
FR
Hi every body,
Here's my problem, hopping that someone around here has the answer, i have 5 sun machines to administrate, two netra X1 and three SunFire v100. The problem is that the computer room is not really near so we bought a little box to be able to have the console port accesible remotly. It works fine with all our AIX servers but i can't make it work with the LOM port of my sun servers. The box is a XCELL XC320.
The question is, do i have to use a specifique cable to plug them and the second question is, what is the exact port configuration...
Thank's by advance for your answers.

I'm only answering because you've gone unanswered for so long...

My only Sun machine is much older than any of yours, and actually has a Com A. On the Com A, the defaults are 8N1 @ 9600 BAUD. I use COM A as the console for this machine (mostly because I never bothered buying a keyboard for it).

I use Hyperterminal to connect to Netra T1s & X1s, v100s and am assortment of other older machines.
In all cases 8N1 @ 9600 works, it is just a case of getting the right cable.
Netras and V100s terminate with a RJ45, and just about everything else needs a 25 pin (rs232).
For Hyperterminal the PC end needs to be 9 pin serial, but this is probably different on your Xcell box.

Steve

You may want to try a rollover cable. You can tell by pin1 on one side being pin8 on the other, pin2 is pin7, and so on. The other way would be to make your RS232 25-pin connectors into a null modem if they are terminals or vice-versa. I use Cisco Terminal Servers to connect my SUNs COM/LOM ports.

Tom Pietschmann
DST Systems, Inc.
Kansas City, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back