Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote connection to W2K Server from XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD5241

Technical User
Jan 17, 2005
US
I'd like to be able to connect remotely to a Windows 2000 Server from my XP Professional desktop (both on the same network), preferably using the Remote Desktop Connection that comes with XP.
Is this possible, and if so, what are the steps I need to take to accomplish this? Thanks.

"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear." - Norm

Should be easy enough. Windows XP Remote Desktop is the client equivalent of Windows Terminal Services. By default, Windows 2000 Terminal Services is enabled in Remtote Administration mode. I believe you need to be a member of the admin group. From your Windows XP Remote Desktop connection, you should just be able to plug in the IP address of the server.

It had been working, but then I installed an FTP site on the server and the remote connection no longer works. Would the new FTP site on it be the cause of the broken remote connection?

Unless the FTP site activated some sort of firewall or changed the RDP ports, I can't imagine why it would break Terminal Services. Anything else that could have possibly changed around the time you activated the FTP server?

Nothing had changed, the server had just been sitting there unused, waiting for me to upgrade an application on it. Just set up the FTP site, and the remote stopped working. I'm fairly stumped.

When you setup your FTP site the Windows Firewall must have been switched on.

Check the advanced settings tab of the properties of your network adapter(s).

If the firewall is on you need to enable RDP in there.

There is no Windows Firewall (it's 2000 Server), and I don't see any RDP settings on the Advanced tab of the adapter... I can't think of any other reason for it to up and stop working all of a sudden... ?

You say that the remote connection no longer works. Can you be more specific? Were you connected using the remote when you installed the FTP site and got booted off? When you try to connect do you get any error messages, or does nothing happen?

Sorry, should have been more specific...

I wasn't connected using the remote during the FTP install, I did it locally... the error message I'm getting is "The client could not connect to the remote computer.
Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.
Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact your administrator."

Is it possible that Terminal Services is installed in application mode and the grace period has run out? When you installed FTP if terminal services was installed it asks you for remote or administration of application everytime. If this was changed this during the FTP install it could cause your problem. Is there anything in the event logs? Also check in the terminal serives manager to see if there are any disconnected sessions that are still holding the two administration connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back