Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Connection Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyke61

Technical User
Jan 16, 2004
GB
I am not an IT expert but I am technically literate so please bear with my ignorance here.

My company has just moved offices and have had our ADSL line transferred which changed our Draytec Router WAN address (dynamic IP). Before my move we had a linux based firewall between our win2003 small business server and our draytec router/dsl modem and my IT engineer configured remote access on our laptops so that we could work from home using remote desktop connection and all was well.

Because of delays with our telecoms company the new ADSL installation was delayed and my IT engineer had left on his 3 month Antartic expedition and is now somewhere off the coast of Chile in 30ft waves and is not returning calls!

I could not get internet access and so I have bypassed his linux firewall and now our win2003 server is connected to the router and I can get out to the net. I can ping the router wan address from within our lan but I cannot ping it from home and changing the remote desktop connection IP address to the new router Wan address does not work.

Does Terminal services require some information about the WAN IP address?

You need to allow PORT 3389 through your firewall. The router probably has a firewall on it.

Windows 2003 Ts uses port 3389

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

you have to forward that port to your w2k3 IP address

I will check this out, I have also found that in answering my ISP's request to return my router to factory default settings it sets the router to disable remote connection and remote wan pinging

All is well!!

We changed the default router settings and then forwarded the port as your suggestions.

Thank You!!!

You do realize though that your server is on the internet unprotected by a firewall. The chance of it getting hacked and compromised escalate every day it is connected to the internet without a firewall. You may want to go out and by a cheap linksys router and put it either in front or in place (remove your existing router). Or is your existing router a firewall too, if its just a ciso router then its not a firewall.

AM

Good Point!! We looked at this yesterday and have found a hardware firewall which we can fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back