Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Connecting To SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

natha

Programmer
Nov 23, 2001
BE
Hi everyone,

We want clients to connect via an Access Project front-end to a SQL Server database.

SQL Server is located in our main office, and the clients will be located somewhere else, maybe outside the country.

How do we connect the clients to the SQL database with adp front-end?

SQL Server in our office runs on Windows 2000 Server. Domain is connected to ADSL. The clients are not on same domain.

I tried from home to simply create a DSN, but get no connection. Probably I am too naive to think it would be so easy...

I have no clue where to begin.

Thx a lot for any help.

Natha

Hi,

You have to check that ip address of sql server can be accessed from outside world. If not You have to open (probably on firewall - Your or Your provider) proper port and ip address. If you do that you have no other problems I think :)

K.

Thx for reply...

How could I check if IP address of SQL Server can be accessed from outside?

You can:

1. Try to connect to SQL Server by, for example, Enterprise Manager from remote computer.
2. Try to make, on remote computer, DSN connection and then test this connection.

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back