Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Client and Dell Latitude D600

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbirch

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2003
GB
I have installed the Remote Client 8.0 software many time onto Compaq and IBM laptops with no problems. However, we have decided to go with Dell. I have done a box standard install, imported the same policy as used on the other laptops but when we reboot and try to logon to our network via the secured vpn with have numerous issues.

Strangely it lets me pickup emails, only when timeout is extended to 180 seconds. I cannot browse the web through a proxy server or even browse our network via my network places or through mapped drives. Look at the log and it points to a successful connection.

The laptop has a Broadcom 570x gigabit card and a truemobile 1300 WLAN card. Windows 2000 Pro installed.

Any help would be possible.....this is driving me crazy as it is nothing obvious

Hello,

Is it the client with or without the Firewall built in? I think they are called Netscreen Remote Client and Netscreen Secure Client. Let me know.

Rgds,

John

Thanks for answering my question.

Yes we have the built in firewall solution Netscreen Remote Client. The firewall is Sygate.

I have looked at the applications and can't see anything obvious being blocked.

Hey,

Is there a way to turn off the Firewall protection. I have never used that client, only NSR. Let me know.

Rgds,

John

Sorry I think you misread my last reply. The NSR client includes a version of Sygate firewall.

I could turn it off but do I really want to do that???

Hey,

Oh, so your using NSR behind a Sygate Firewall? I thought you meant that you had the NSR Firewall with the Personal Firewall (Netscreen Secure Client).

Since your dealing with a HW based Firewall, are you able to move the NSR client to an outside IP or DSL line? This should help you see if it's related to your Sygate box.

Just an idea.

Rgds,

John

Sorry,

I think I have confused you with NSR and firewall.

We have NSR client version 8 with the builtin firewall system, which happens to be Sygate.

Like I have said I have installed this many times before on systems without having to specifically configure anything extra.

Hello,

I know you have, we're trying to see if the FIrewall is the cause of your issue. Try disabling the Firewall side of the client. Let me know.

Rgds,

John

I setup a load of Dull (sorry, Dell) D600's & 400's with the NSR software, and on all of them I had to tweak the MTU settings to get reliable connections - 1300 always worked for me. I found packet fragmentation to be the cause of most headaches... there are a load of tools out there - dr tcp comes to mind, but there were loads of others. give it a try & post the outcome.

Cheers
Rob

Sounds like exactly what I am getting.........

I will try it out and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back