Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote building a Dell R710 via a Cisco 2821 terminal server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHThomas

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
GB
Hi,
I am trying to connect to a Dell R710 through a Cisco 2821 router (telnet <loopback IP> <tty port>). I've never used a Dell before (or Linux actually) and have previously only used this method to install Solaris onto Sun servers.
Currently I have straight-though UTP cable from the port on the Cisco, via a 9 pin adaptor to the Serial port on the Dell nothing happens. I've tried having the Dell rebooted without success. Unfortunately, I'm the other side of the world from this server with extreemly limited local support, my main questions are:

1) should the UTP be plugged into the serial (rather than the DRAC port)?
2) if it should go via the DRAC, can this be used immediatly on a server without any OS installed?
3) any other sugestions from people who've been involved in similar installations...

Cheers,

Mark T.

Mark,

I haven't used 710's before but it would seem if you are doing an OS install you could use the DRAC. But you are going to need to have someone configure it then just web in. Once there you should be able to do console redirection from the web interface on the DRAC. Then you could have your remote support load the install disk and do everything as if you were on the console. This is of course if you can have your local support setup the DRAC with an IP, Gateway, and netmask. Plus just a password. Then put the disk in the computer and have them boot from the disk. You will be able to watch everything via the console redirect, which is a really nice option.

Does that help?? I'm not sure if it helps with what you are trying to do. I have used console only type access but never in the manner you are saying. From what I remember we always had a console server that connected to the 9pin on the back of our 2950's.

Inforeqd

Thanks Inforeqd,
hopefully it will help, just trying to round somebody up to get onsite.

Cheers,

Mark T.

Mark, I am doing the same thing with remote servers as mentioned above over the weekend and I've tested already. If you use the DRAC you are good and its just like being on the console. You can control everything.

If you pay me a good per diem I'll fly over and put the disk in for you HAHA!

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back