Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Assistance behind a Netgear RT314 Router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coutoj

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
CA
Hello I would like to use the Remote assistance but i am unable to do so because when i get asked to provide help i accept and nothing happens after that...

Any one have some ideas?

Thanks,
Jason Couto

coutoj,

Don't know anything about your setup but first guess is that your router is blocking the port. If you are behind an RT314, your IP address is not accessible from the outside unless you configure your router to allow it.

If you could provide some specifics of your setup, I am sure we can get it going.

The Old Man

My router is the Netgear RT314 and i currently have no ports forwarded to any computers on the LAN. I would also like to know how to forward ports to multiple pc's. Do you know anything about this router because i could post the filter setup if you would like.

Please let me know what other information you need and i will provide it to you.

Thank you,
Jason

coutoj,

You'll need to forward port 3389 TCP/UDP to the IP address of your machine. Most routers/firewalls don't allow forwarding to multiple ports. As far as I know, the NetGear is the same.

You can get instructions on how to do the forwarding from NetGear's web site.

You stated Remote Assistance. That allows others to connect to you to assist you. Is that what you are doing or are you trying to use Remote Desktop to assist others? You need XP Pro for that. Ports are the same I believe.

The Old Man

I am trying to remote control someone else. But the issue i have is that when some one send's me a request by msn messenger i accept and nothing happens. Isn't there an application that is suppost to open?

Thanks,

coutoj,

Yes, there is another application that is supposed to open. This link describes the procedure

As long as both computers meet the requirements , then it may just be the router blocking the port causing the problem. Try opening port 3389 and try it again.

Good luck.
The Old Man

hi I am new here. if I may try to be helpfull. MSN is the only messenger that is not NAT compliant with fire walls soft ware and hard ware. I believe the 314 is also a fire wall. and it and my linksys do not allow you to transfer some files and or use voice and video communication with another computer on the internet. (this is what I have been told)You might want to try VNC written by Oracle and free from AT&T in the ukVNC allows you to control another computer on the internetand is I beieve on of the original programs designed to do exactly that. A person could leave his / her office and link up to that computer with any VNC loaded computer equiped computer or data terminal, to complete the work you left running at th office. ( run VNC listen mode on the computer you want to link to. and VNC remote program on the other end.)I do not know if I am allowed to say where to get it in this forum.hope this helps your situation. :)

Hi there,

I wish confirm if it is possible to access a NetGear RP-114 WEB Configuration via the Internet. If so, can you please advise as to how. The manual does not seem to indicate such a capability. Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back