Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote agent initialisation error while backing up Visual SourceSafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkoverlord2279

Technical User
Jan 4, 2006
US
We have a Visual SourceSafe machine (remote)which requires to be backed up using Backup exec 9.1 from the backup server. The VSS machine does a daily maintenance job and dumps a flat file into the backup folder. Backup exec is configured to backup that particular folder daily. Everyday, I get a message in the job log which states "Remote agent failed to initialise", even though it has backed up all the data in the folder from the VSS machine. I tried reinstalling the agent, but that didnt solve the problem. I checked the system logs of both the server and the machine and there doesnt seem to be anything that could come in conflict with the remote agent. There are no other backup jobs during the time VSS machine is being backed up and the network speed is pretty good.
I'm not too concerned about the error message at the moment, but i fear that this may be the start of something disastrous. Has anyone else faced a similar situation? Does anyone know how to solve the issue?

Have you tried debbuging the remote agent and job engine?
Can you backup the VSS server by user defined selection by IP

Is DNS OK

The DNS checks out fine. We tried backing it up by user defined selection through IP but it still gives the same error.
But I havent tried debugging the remote agent and job engine. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks. I'll enable debug logging and check to see if that comes up with something.
The VSS machine is on a completely different subnet. The machine is based in a different country, but it still has an internal IP. I'm guessing it doesnt have to pass through a firewall since it's in the corporate network. I'll check with the networking team for those details.
Thanks once again. Will let you know what the debug logs tell me

Have you setup the job and specified the NIC to use. Im assuming your backup server has multiple NIC

The backup job has been setup for a while, and so is the NIC. You are correct, the backup server has multiple NICs. They are all configured correctly, and the backups go smmothly except it give the remote agent initialisation error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back