Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote agent backup to external server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscopix77

Technical User
Sep 19, 2005
GB
Hi all

I was wondering if it was possible to install remote agent on an external server with external ip address. I have tried and tried and veritas does not allow me. I have also allowed access thru our firewall for the remote agent (port 10000 TCP) on the external server but still get an error. Any ideas? Is this possible at all? I have also tried user defined selection and typed in external ip address, but nothing...same error!

cheers

What version of Backup Exec. You need to install the remote agent manually. There are plenty of technotes on this. Then depending on what version of Backup Exec you will need to open port 10000 and a few more ports.

How to perform a local installation of the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option

This technote explains the process of backing up thru a firewall. In 10.x the method has changed.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.0 for Windows Servers has improved support for backups of remote computers

Thanks for the reply. We r using version 9.1. With regards to the ports being opened, where should I open these ports? Only on the remote server firewall? Or also on where the backup exec is installed (As it is sitting behimd a firewall as well). A bit confused!

cheers

Even on remoter server end, You should be member of Local administrator or Backup administrator.

The technote 255831 tells you where to open.

I dint know how much clearer it can get. Just remember with a firewall you will have to install the remote agent manually. Once you get the remote agent installed:

When backing up a server through a firewall with Backup Exec 9.x, there are several ports that need to be opened on the firewall.

First, the NDMP port (port 10000 by default) needs to be opened on the firewall. This is an outbound port only, and the media server is talking to the remote agent on this port.

Second, all ports specified in the Enable media server TCP dynamic port range option need to be opened in the incoming range on the firewall.

Third, all ports specified in the Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range option need to be opened in the outgoing range on the firewall

Thanks for that! Do u know how I can do the manual install? I have read the instrucctions but not quite sure how to do it? I don't umderstand the part where it says to map the drive to a directory? Sorry for the silly questions!

Thanks

you map a drive to the veritas directory on your backup server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back