Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Administration Via Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2003
GB
Hello,
I am looking for any recommendations you may have for a remote administration tool to be deployed on a Citrix XP / Windows server 2003 server. The chosen application will be required to provide full remote control capabilities when accessing a client PC on a network via the Citrix server from the WEB using an ICA connection. Further to this the application must be fully compatible with Citrix XP & Win Server 2003. Previously I have used Netop running on a Citrix metaframe 1.8 / windows NT terminal server setup with varying degrees of success - the main problem being that only one session is permitted at any given time. I currently weighing up the plus and minus points for three applications: PCanywhere (I've read on the Citrix support site that Terminal services does not support PC anywhere), VNC - cant find any plus or minus points on this regarding Citrix XP and the afore mentioned Netop.
Anyway any feed back you can provide on the compatibility and performance of these products will be much appreciated.
Thanks is advance.
Mod.

I need a bit of clarification.
Are you wanting to remote control the Citrix Server or are you wanting to remote control Client PCs from the Citrix server?

Additionally, why is a server Custom connection not an option or if it's clients you wish to control, why not shadowing?

If you must know of an excellent remote client..Remote Administrator from It's inexpensive fast, flexible and fairly unintrusive regarding the OS. The only disadvantage is a fair amount of CPU consumption during the remote session, but this can be throttled.

PCmystro
Clarification points:
I want to control internal client PC's from a remote offsite session using an ICA connection.

Regarding custom connections - I've no idea how to set this up as my Citrix experience is limited - any information on this would be welcomed.
Regarding shadow sessions - shadow sessions are not suitable for a number of reasons -
(1) Remote connection to internal network client PC's via remote connections is carried out by a number of users and I would prefer to limit their level of access to the citrix server
(2) The users require to take full control of the client PC via the remote session - shadowing in my experience is limited and cannot provide full control capability.
allowing is not suitable
Thanks again

Dameware is a complete remote control product. Simply install it on the Citrix Server and publish.
After this you can take over any pc using this program, connecting either by pc name or ip address. The only thing it does is installing a service on the client pc (the first time) for remote control.

While Citrix does not support pcAnywhere as a host session, it does support pcAnywhere Remote. When I installed pcAnywhere to two of my Citrix servers, I specified remote connections only during the installation. I then put pcAnywhere Host on the machines I want to be able to remotely control from an ICA session. It works quite well other that a small bit of added latency since you are doing remote control of an ICA session that you are then using to do remote control (pcAnywhere) over another machine.

After installing and configuring pcAnywhere remote on your Citrix server, be sure to restrict access to the executables and configuration files if you are allowing your users to run a desktop from Citrix.

PC Anywhere [Raspberry]
VNC many video issues
Netop I would recommend
Proxy Master is another I would recommend

Cheers
Scott

We use Dameware to control worldwide clients via citrix, its the only tool you will need at an incredibly good licence cost. I cannot reccomend it enough.

Regards,

Nostferatu

"Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow A Mystery,
Today is a gift,
That's why they call it the Present"

I use VNC to do this without issues. So far I have been using VNC for abut 2 yrs for this.

But VNC is not working on Win2003. We always get a black screen after starting VNC to win2003

I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but if the clients are running Windows XP, you can use the RDP client that comes with Windows 2003 server.

As an alternative suggestion (and I know it's not the rasion d'etre of the software), you could use Gotomypc, which operates through a web browser - so no problems with compatibility.

I've never used Dameware - but will investigate - thanks for the heads up!

Hope this is helpful.

Please... if nobody has tried Dameware then just download a trial and give it a go, imagine a solution that gives you all the tools you have ever needed in one nice package.

Remote control of the desktop with a push installation client. Remote editing of registry (great for removing viruses manually when you have to). Remote DOS prompt yadda yadda yadda... Its a network/helpdesk admins dream.

No, im not a sales rep for dameware (thats "Dee Aye Emm Eee DublU Aye Are ;) )it really does sell itself, if anyone knows of something better (after trying it) please let me know.

regards

Nostferatu

"Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow A Mystery,
Today is a gift,
That's why they call it the Present"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back