Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote administering a locked down user

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffkelly

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. If so, please move it to the appropriate forum.

Scenario:
[ul]
[li]Remote users are locked down (can't install programs, change time, etc.) by domain policy.[/li]
[li]Remote users access corporate network through an SSL appliance (Juniper SA2500...uses IE/Java as client).[/li]
[li]Remote computer authenticated against domain. This is the only profile -- outside of local admin -- that exists on the workstation.[/li]
[li]Can RD, VNC or browse remote computer through the VPN tunnel (I'm a domain admin).[/li]
[li]Some remote users only have air cards as their Internet connection.[/li]
[/ul]

Goal:

Access locked-down remote computers as an administrator through RD, VNC, etc. to support the user (install updates, drivers, programs, etc.)

Problem:
[ul]
[li]So far I haven't figured out how to land on a locked-down computer (in the profile that established the VPN connection) and admin the computer. [/li]
[li]Since the computer's only profile is the domain account, it cannot be granted administrator privileges because the DC can't be located to validate the user account. [/li]
[li]Fast user switching is removed when a workstation authenticates to a domain, so I can't switch to the local administrator. [/li]
[li]I don't want to give the user our admin password.[/li]
[li]Since IE is used as the SSL connection, I can't log out of the profile that established the VPN tunnel and log in as administrator. If I do, the VPN and air card) connection terminates.[/li]
[/ul]
Question:

How can I admin the locked-down remote computer through the VPN?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Jeff

Why can't you just disconnect the user and THEN RDC and log in as local admin?

Burt

Because several users are on air cards. When connecting via RDC, it logs out the current user and subsequently shuts down the air card client. Thus, no connection.

How do large IT departments remote manage laptops that have minimal permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back