Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Administer an IP Office using RAS/DIALIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplysmith

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2002
CA
Is there anyone currenty using a dialin to adminster an IP Office site? I have a DID number routing to the 799 internal modem Im not sure whats involved to connect at this point. Any help would be great!

Thanks
SS

Dialin on the IPO is pretty straight forward.

The manual will require another IPO or Argent unit for LAN to LAN connections. Though I found you could use an ISDN TA for RAS. The following provides a few simple method of dialin;

Plan A;
ISDN TA at the remote site; with DDI, username and password in Dial-up Networking
On the IPO at the client site; Use the default settings for RAS. Leave the default blank entry for DDI Dialin. In your system LAN settings select Dialin and assign say 20 address for DHCP handout. Finally ensure you have the correct IP route back into your network.

Plan B;
If you don't have ISDN2 circuit at the remote location. Map a DDI to a modem on a PC with the IP Office manager program. Use PC Anywhere or VNC to remotely control the PC. Please note, this will be slow.

Plan C;
Read the manual for LAN to LAN connections.

:) Try it and see which one works best

Hi

You forgot Plan D:
The IPO can terminate v.110 on its RAS. This enables the use of a GSM cell phone instead of an ISDN TA. Use your laptop to do your job from the beach - if you can keep the sand out of your keyboard.

/Soren

We have over 300 sites on remote admin althoug we use ISDN to connect so an internal modem is not required

However if you are trying to use an internal modem I could check the configuration of a site that has this setup.

Personaly I would recommend A full ISDN connection preferaly Via a router such as a IP401 for ease of use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back