Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote admin of iis through a windows 98 machine using road runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeKpHrEaK

Programmer
Jan 13, 2000
US
Visit site
i am trying to figure out the best way to do remote administration of our iis server. i know how to do it if i am running a windows nt server or workstation, but i need to be able to administer from home. my home machine is running windows 98, msie 5.01, and my connection is road runner, which uses dhcp for its clients. for the most part my ip addy is the same, becuz my computer is always on, but i am afraid that i will have to do reconfiguring on the server end every time i have to shut down if i do not get assigned the same ip addy. is this even possible. i tried playing with LMHOSTS but i don't think that works on 98. i have heard about PC Anywhere, but i have heard that it crashes the web server. any help in this matter would be most appreciated. ;-}

You will be using HTML admiistration. I usually set the admin port to one of my choice so it is the same across all servers. (easier on the brain.)<br>
<br>
Your ISP probably has a block of addresses so you can set it up to allow access from that range. Say your ISP is allocated a class c network 222.333.111.0, your machine might have 222.333.111.109, go to Admin site properties, directory security tab, IP Address and domain restictions, EDIT.<br>
<br>
Click ADD, Group of Computers, and enter network IP and subnet mask. Enter your machine's IP and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 As long as you IP is allocated from that block, you will get in. Beware that anyone else guessing your port can too, so I suggest diallowing anonymous access to that site as well.<br>
<br>
Null

IIS html admin tool only works with NT operating system or it fails.<br>
<br>
Refer to MOC or equivelant training book.<br>
<br>
Even if you have ports enabled scripts in admin (I should say web application looks headers from browser requests and tries to use MS-CHAP.

Another possibility to PC Anywhere is VNC. It is a free remote administration tool originally developed by Olivettia and now owned by AT&T in the UK. You can find it <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> The refresh rate can sometimes be quite slow, but you will be able to control the desktop with this tool.<br>
<br>
Allen <p>Allen Dean<br><a href=mailto:dean@acm.org>dean@acm.org</a><br><a href= inc.</a><br>fourthchannel is an ASP for small and medium manufacturers and distributors. The application allows for the rapid creation and delivery of Internet catalogs, customized using Advanced Java object and agent technologies.

I've used PC Anwhere and haven't had any problems at all with it. FYI My configuration: Home Computer running Windows 98, Work Server running Windows NT Server 4.0 (SP5) with IIS 4.0, ad inf. I can use my work computer (The server and all) as if I were sitting right in front of it. Though I might add that vbefore I got the ISDN, it was a very sluggish process... <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= FreeDSL Service</a><br>[To a get FREE DSL Modem WITH FREE DSL Unlimited Internet Connection click the above link :)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back