Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parallon

MIS
Dec 27, 2002
US
Hello all,

I am a little new to remote access, so bare with me. I was just wondering what a good tool is for connecting to a remote computer. For example, we are going to be setting up a dedicated server with a web-hosting company, which is out-of-state. I am just wondering what tool to use to be able to take control of that server (graphically)? I am going to constantly be adding databases and updating software on it. I started reading about Microsoft Terminal Server, but that sounds like more of an ASP application to me.

Thank you for your time,

Parallon

"I used to think that the more that you knew, the farther you would go, then I realized that the more that you know, the more they use you."

-Me

What os are you running?

If you are using 2k or 2k3 You can use remote desktop conection which in effect is Terminal services, This allows you to log onto a server using any relevent credentials. You will have full remote control of the server..

For an XP client.
To use RDC click start>run>mstsc
Or Start>Accessories>Communications>remote desktop connection.

If however you are using NT4 you will probably have to use the TS client.

The other options are to use software like RD32 or SMS (if you have it deployed in your network.)

Then there is the old faithful Dameware.. easy and can be installed on any server and client....

Check out
Hope this helps

Tim
MCSE 2003
HP APS

Ok....Ive got that down, now how would I access other computers on the network?

Or, better yet, log in and have the user go right to their desktop?

THanks in advance

oh using sbs2003 standard

I would use one the many VNC tools available. Install the server part of the vnc software on all the desktop client machines, and then install the viewer on the server your gonna access via Terminal Services - TightVNC is a free to use VNC app -

You could of course install the VNC viewer on your own machine if you are using a VPN to gain remote access to the network that the SBS2003 machine is on.

If you are updating databases I would stay clear away from terminal services. major problem is when working on a job..eg database migration or update..if you loose your connection your job will hang.There are also some stuff you cannot do whilst using a terminal session.

PC Anywhere or VNC

How safe is it to use VNC free adition? its not encrypted but does this really matter if its a small company that no one is really going to be looking at?

Josh Delcore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back