Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

vogel08

Programmer
Nov 11, 2003
US
I want to access "complete controll" my computer at home that has winxp pro with a router and a home network from my computer at work that has win2000 pro and is behind a firewall. Is this possible to do, if so what would be the best way to go about this and what would i need to change on my router?

If VNC is the answer, and it sounds good to me, you will want to see . Has compression available so it performs much better across the internet. Has some other nice features as well. Built upon the same code as realvnc.

Second point would be you don't need to worry about port 5800 unless you want to use the http vnc client, and you probably don't.

Third, since there is a router instead of just a firewall, 5900 will need to be forwarded to the host computer on the host network, not just 'opened'.

Also worth mentioning that there are many other flavors of VNC, most offering some feature specific to a particular use. Most also have the problem of being very unsecure, so instead of forwarding 5900 I would suggest setting up a VPN connection to your home computer or running VNC over SSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back