Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote access via 4 port analog card

Status
Not open for further replies.

jconrad0305

Programmer
Oct 7, 2005
US
Does anyone have any experience with the 4 port analog trunk card and remote connections. i am having an increasing number fo ipo's with embedded vmail so there is no pc for remote access. just wanted to know if it worked well and how it is setup.

ACA & ACS IPO Implementation
ACA IP Telephony

it is the last port on the 4 port card and if you have 2 cards then it is the last port on the second card that gets activated with the shortcode *9000* (needs to be programmed to activate the "maintenance". Create a user that has dialin checked on (no need to have an extension number associated with it though) then set the DHCP mode to dialin and make sure that the IP address of the IPO plus the range you specify is not used by something else (if possible) and you should be good to go. The speed is not really great but it works as long as the connection doesn;t drop during an upload of the config.
I usually use it for the SOE without VM pro because it is not great but it is still better then no access at all.

Joe W.

FHandw.
ACA
ACS

Analog Trunk Modem Mode
On systems with an ATM4 trunk card and on the Small Office edition, the first analog trunk can be set to answer V.32 modem calls. This is done by checking the Modem Enabled option on the analog line settings or using the default short code *9000* to toggle this service on or off.

When using an analog modem, the Bearer Capability of the incoming call route used should be Any Voice.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M, TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
ACE Implement: IP Office

"If it worked the way it should you wouldn't need me

oops sorry, I had a senior moment with the last port, of course it is the first one, make sure that your main line is not on that port (I usually swap the first and last line if I have 4 so that the line only gets used incoming if all three other lines are alrady in use) and if it is not a dedicated line you have to put the shortcode in otherwise the modem will always answer and you get a service call.
The shortcode to use is
*9000*
Relay on
"Maintenance" (the quotation marks have to be there)
it will activate and deactivate the modem so you call someone on site and have them dial *9000* and then after you are done working you disable it again by someone dialing the code again.

Joe W.

FHandw.
ACA
ACS

thanks for the fast responses. How do i set up my PC to make the connection?

ACA IP Telephony

go to network connections and create a new connection to the internet, setup your connection manually, connect using dialup modem, pick your modem if you have several, enter a name, enter the phone number, check if you want anyone on your PC is supposed to use it or just your logon, enter User name and password, uncheck both checkmarks from this screen becasue you don't want to make this your default connection, finish.
Then go into the properties and Networking; in the TCP/IP settings under Advanced uncheck "use default gateway on remote site" if you are connected to your own network otherwise it will dropp all existing connections that you have open at that moment.

Done

Joe W.

FHandw.
ACA
ACS

Thanks i will give it a shot.

ACA IP Telephony

Has anyone had any experience using IP 500 with 2 atm4 Daughter cards. It will not connect with both cards installed. It will connect with 1. I had the same issue with the 406 and the atm4u cards..

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

it will use the second card to activate the modem not the first one. So once you activate the port via shortcode *9000* it will pick up on th efirst port on the second card. I didn't have that on the IP 500 yet but I had that on the 406 V2 working. I still think the connection speed it pathetic with it but it is a good workaround to connect at least in some fashion. If you have a Vm Pro pc, put a modem in it and connect to that one then you can work locally and if your connection drops midway in an upload it won't make your system unresponsive and you save yourself a trip to DTE the unit.

Joe W.

FHandw.
ACA
ACS

When both Analog trunks cards are installed I cannot get either modem to connect. The IP Office picks up the call but doesnt complete the hand shake with the modem. When I take on e of the cards out it works fine..... Any ideas??

Thanks.

Sorry, I have one site with two analog cards and it works on the second card, maybe try to create a second dialin user so the system might allocate one to the second card one to the first card, but that is just a thought.

Joe W.

FHandw.
ACA
ACS

What version are you on ?

CQ57026

IP500 ATM4: Modem will not respond with tones when 2 x ATM4 modules are in system

MT_RELEASE_1Q08_4.1

1-Not Required

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

so do you have to have an internal modem card as well for all of this, or is using the 4 port analog card the cheaper way???

gknight: the 4 port analog trunk card is the cheapest solution if you have it installed anyways but it is like everything in live, cheap is not neccessarily good. You get what you pay for and if you have a VM pro pc on site and a spare analog port on the system dial into the PC. That will be a much better way to connect.

Joe W.

FHandw.
ACA
ACS

MY Configuration consists of IP 500 on 4.1 with one DS8 with an atm4 daughter card. Then a analog 2 carrier card with atm4 daughter card. I am Using embedded Voicemail.

I cannot get the modem to connect to either port 9 on the first daughter card or port 9 on the second daughter card. They have the same behavior. They pickup but do not handshake. If I remove either card it will connect.

Any Ideas...Any recommendations?

THanks
Marc

go under the system - LAN1 Tab and select dialin
go to the first analog line card make a unique line in and out and select modem enable.
go to user - remote manager - no vm, no cw - make sure dialin is selected and change the password
go to icr and select the unique line id previously assigned and make the destination dialin
that should work

I appreciate the suggestions but it didnt change the behavior.

Still won't connect.

Hey tlpeter (Programmer),

Is this from an Avaya Document?

CQ57026

IP500 ATM4: Modem will not respond with tones when 2 x ATM4 modules are in system

MT_RELEASE_1Q08_4.1

1-Not Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back