Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access using VNC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deisehun

Programmer
Nov 24, 2006
IE
I have a mini network with one File Server and ten XP clients who all get their IP Address via DHCP from a DSL Router.

The Subnet is 192.168.1.0/24

I need to be able to connect to any of the pc's or the Server remotely.

Can I connect to these using VNC?

If so, how can I do it?

Thanks..

I could be wrong,,, but I believe that you can VNC into the server, then you have to launch VNC on the server to get to the clients.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Thanks, but in the absence of a Public IP - what address would I give to connect?

You can use an web interface such as No-IP.com. Setup an account and name it, you will type into the vnc window servername.no-ip.info and you will be routed if this place does not have a static ip. If it is static, just put its IP in the vnc search box.
Have the host side running on the server and forward the ports 5800 and 5900 through the router.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

In the absence of a public IP, you would need your ISP to forward correct ports on their public IP to your private IP. This is not likely to happen.

Instead, you could use a service like gotomypc, however I don't know how much this would cost for multiple machines.

If I buy a Public IP address from my ISP, would I configure my Router with the Public IP ( A Draytek Vigor 2800) or how does it work?

Is there a free version of Real vnc available for Windows clients?

Thanks..

Ok, I have the WAN interface of the Draytek router configured with the Static IP from the ISP - I can access this remotely - how can I get from the Router to the two servers that I have VNC installed on?

Thanks

You cannot forward the same port to two different internal IPs, so you will have to configure one of the two servers running VNC to use a non-standard port. Then, configure your Draytek router to forward those ports to the correct internal IP.

See the VNC and Draytek documentation for instructions on doing this.

Thanks.

I've installed vnc on both servers and have gone to NAT/Port redirection -> and added the internal IP of the first server and addedd TCP 5900, 5800 & 5500 as public & private ports - will this do it?

The address you mentioned is your INTERNAL address only visible on YOUR network. You need your PUBLIC address that is visible to the outside world on the Internet.

Just go to to see your public IP address that is visible outside your router to the internet. peace, j

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back